Friday, August 17, 2012

Re'eh

Parsha Re'eh: Deuteronomy 13:1
“Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.”

This passage gives clear instruction for living fully, exuberantly, and mindfully.  When performing an action, don’t add to it, meaning don’t get lost in the busy thoughts and stories that the mind spins.  Also, don’t subtract from it, meaning don’t ignore the sensory aspects inherent in each action. For instance, when eating a meal, don’t get lost in thoughts such as “this isn’t as good as the way my friend makes it” or  “this is great, I wish I could have this for dinner every night” or “I don’t have time to enjoy this because I should be cleaning up the mess in the kitchen”. Similarly, don’t subtract from a meal by failing to notice the sensations of chewing, tasting, swallowing.


By neither adding nor subtracting, but doing each action simply and with full awareness, we bring ourselves closer to re’eh  - to seeing and beholding the blessings before us each moment and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment