Thursday, April 14, 2011

Parshat Acharei - Present to the Presence

Parshat Acharei
Vayikra 18: 2-4.
2.
Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: I am the Lord, your God.
3. Like the practice of the land of Egypt, in which you dwelled, you shall not do, and like the practice of the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you, you shall not do, and you shall not follow their statutes.        
4. You shall fulfill My ordinances and observe My statutes, to follow them. I am the Lord, your God.

How can we be more aware of Presence?  The parsha instructs us not to live in the past for the past is a place of narrowness. Dwelling on it locks us into restriction. Nor should we live in the future. The future presents too many temptations which distract us and lead us astray.  What is left? Living in the present. Resting in now, attending to exactly what is happening in this moment  - that is what makes us feel connected and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment